Effective Date: April 1, 2019
What this notice covers
Tailscale Inc. is a company that controls the data provided to it by its users and those who otherwise browse our website ("user"). If you are a user or users, Tailscale Inc. (referred to as "we", "us", "our" or "Tailscale") is the controller of your personal data. This means we choose why and how that data is processed. We are based at 50 Lynn Williams St., Unit 401, Toronto, ON M6K 3R9, Canada.
As an organization focused on security, Tailscale strives to use your data in a safe, responsible, secure, and ethical way. This policy describes:
- What kind of personal data we may collect from you;
- How and why we collect and use your personal data;
- Why we may share personal data within Tailscale and with other organizations; and
- The rights and choices you have when it comes to your personal data.
Data that we collect from you
We will only retain your personal data for as long as we need to in order to fulfill the uses we describe in this notice (or until you exercise your right to erasure, which is explained in the section about your rights).
Uses of personal data for business purposes
We use the data that you share with us, or that we receive from the other sources mentioned above, to improve the performance of our services. The uses we describe below form the basic agreement we have with our users.
We use personal data to:
- Develop and improve our services;
- Register, authenticate, and administer your account;
- Create articles and other content for our website;
- Respond to you when you exercise any of your rights relating to the data we hold about you (more information about the rights you have over your data is set out below);
- Detect and prevent fraudulent activity.
In order to use your personal data in the ways described above, we may share it within Tailscale.
Our service providers
We work with trusted service providers that carry out certain functions on our behalf so we can provide our services to you.
These organizations process data on our behalf. They only have access to the personal data that they absolutely need to provide the specific service to us, and in all cases we have contractual safeguards in place to ensure that they do not disclose or use it for any other purposes. In some cases, these organizations (for example our payment processors) may need to process your personal data for their own specific purposes, for example to ensure they are compliant with regulations or laws governing their own sectors. In terms of tools, we currently share our users' data with Google Analytics, Google Webmaster Tools, and Google AdWords.
You can set preferences for how Google advertises to you using the Google Ad Preferences page. You may also opt out of interest-based advertising entirely by cookie settings or permanently using a browser plugin.
These circumstances are unusual, but we may share personal data with other organizations if:
- We have to share your information to comply with legal or regulatory requirements (or we reasonably believe that we need to disclose your information for such purposes);
- We need to share personal data in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights, including with our legal and other professional advisors;
- We restructure our business or if we buy or sell any business or assets we may share your data with the prospective buyer or seller;
- All or substantially all of our company assets are acquired by another party, your data will be one of the transferred assets.
If you do not want us to make use of your personal data in any of the ways described above then you should request to remove your data by emailing us at email@example.com.
Legal grounds for processing your personal data
Tailscale is committed to the lawful, fair, and transparent use of personal data. For every use of your personal data we have described so far, we process your personal data on the grounds that our processing is necessary for legitimate interests we pursue as a business.
If you have any questions about the grounds under which we process your personal data, or would like to find out more about the approach we take to determine that these grounds apply, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to contact us
If you have questions about this notice, or about how we collect, store and use personal data, you can contact us.
By email: email@example.com
By mail: Tailscale Data Privacy Officer Tailscale Inc. 50 Lynn Williams St., Unit 401 Toronto, ON M6K 3R9 Canada
Updates to this notice
This notice was last updated on the date that appears at the beginning of the notice. We reserve the right to change this notice at any time.